Tuesday 12 October 2010

Butterbeer: Product Shots thus far

Posted on/at 10:28 by Hannah Jackson

Okay so! I finally got downstairs into the Digital Dungeon to get this project printed up, constructed and ready for the crit. I had two options for the boxes, obviously I had both the colours but I was worried around the paper not being strong enough to hold the bottles very well. I know fora fact that it's not strong enough to be used to lift the bottles but this is just a proposal after all. Anyway, James suggested laminating the boxes before I constructed them and I actually really like the result. The laminate gives it a slight gloss, makes the boxes stronger and more likely to not tear as soon as I move them.

I like the texture of the paper without the lamination but I can't convey that through the blog. Just take my work for it that it has a really nice, smooth finish, but the laminate just works better for this.

Another point in favour of the laminate is that when the box is folded, the ink doesn't crack at all. There's slight cracking on the non-laminate box so the laminate solves this issue entirely.

Laminated.

Not laminated.
Laminated aaand...
...not laminated!

The stickers work quite nicely on the bottles they have a really smooth finish and the colours printed quite nicely. A little bit darker than I had intended but still, the gold type shows up nicely against the brown background.

The two stickers on the bottle work quite nicely together and I think that the sticker on the body of the bottle alone just wouldn't work as well as having both. Having both looks a little more considered when it comes to the overall look of the bottle.

As you can see, the proposed B for the bottle caps is merely printed on a clear sticker for the purpose of the product shots as I don't really have access to a printer that can print onto bottle caps and I think it would be a waste of time/money for the product shots. I can merely propose and not have to do.

The caps of the bottles were originally red but I found an old can of gold spray paint in my bedroom and wrapped the bottles in newspaper and simply sprayed the caps gold as best I could. I think that the overall effect worked quite well and it's quite hard to tell that they have been sprayed all all.

The photograph doesn't really do it justice but the dark brown B stands out quite nicely against the gold of the lid in natural lighting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment