Thursday 21 October 2010

Pantone butterbeer

Posted on/at 16:16 by Hannah Jackson

The point was raised in my last crit that the brown and the caramel colours of the packaging for Butterbeer was too similar and really didn't create enough of an impact to catch the eye of the passersby. The colours were too similar to one another and somebody mentioned the idea of reversing one out to make the other. I quite liked this idea so I decided to run with it. Another point with the old colours is that they weren't spot colours (for some foolish reason) and they weren't printing out quite right. I rectified this by taking the darker colours of the alcoholic one and swapping them for spot colours so that they'll print right. The difference in colours is only very subtle but it works nicely.

For the alcohol free one I tired the reversed out version, so yellow background and brown type and it actually works really well. The people I showed it to said that it works much better as a set than it did before and they are quite obviously part of the same range. It's weird that a change in colours can get the point across quite nicely.

The colours are the same on both with the exception of the highlight colour for the type. Obviously the highlight on yellow text isn't going to be the same as the highlight colour on brown text. Each product has a limited colour palette of three spot colours.






I much prefer these new colours to the old ones. When I compare these to the others that I had already designed I really agree that these colours work way better than the other too and create enough difference between them while keeping them a part of the same range.

0 comments:

Post a Comment